Our Family

Our Family

Monday, March 10, 2014

Olympic Traditions

Growing up I spent countless days with my grandparents.  I have fond memories of the time I was able to share with them.  We traveled, cooked together, played beauty shop, cuddled and hugged often and shared many a story.  Their stories and traditions are something I hope I am able to pass on to my family.  The Winter Olympics were just one of those stories.
 
When my grandpa was a younger kid, he loved to speed skate.  He actually was pretty good at it too, winning the silver skates in a race in Chicago.  That love crossed over when he became a member of the Winter Olympic committee.  During his time as a committee member, he traveled to many different countries with my grandma (Nanny) and also started some of the Olympic speed skating races.
I was always in awe off the stories they told.  I thought it would be great to follow in his footsteps and become a skater.  That is until I stepped onto the ice and my nickname became Zamboni as I spent the majority of the time cleaning the ice as opposed to the gliding over top of it.

With the Winter Olympics being held this year, I thought it would be fun to host an Olympic play date for the kids and their friends, complete with various games and a medal.

The kids lit their torches from the Olympic flame and the games began. 


Bobsledding & Skeleton - They loved pulling each other around the house on their sleds.  Of course snacks and blankets were a must for this sport.


Snowboarding


Speed & Figure Skating


Skiing - Connor was so excited to see real life ski poles.  He asked if they were mine and when I told them they were he started yelling, "Wow Mom was a REAL skier".  There is nothing wrong with letting him think I was a good skier.  Like skating, I spent most of my time falling down the hill rather than skiing down it. Hopefully these kids get their father's athletic prowess.


All in all the kids thoroughly enjoyed taking part in our mini Olympic games.  I know both Nanny and Grandpa would be proud of their gold medal great grand kids.

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!!! too cute Kel, and an awesome tribute to Nanny and Grampa!!!!! I love the winter Olympics!!!! You are an amazing Mom!!!!
    Peggy Sue

    ReplyDelete